The apical surface of epithelial cells is thrown into laterally long actin rich protrusions, termed microridges. The image depicts microridges on the epidermal cells in a 3-day old zebrafish embryo which function as actin reservoirs to help in mucous retention and abrasion resistance.
The image was submitted to FocalPlane by Shivali Dongre who’s done her Bachelor’s and Master’s in India. She did her Master’s by research at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research at Prof. Mahendra Sonawane‘s lab, where she worked on the interplay between polarity and adhesion in the zebrafish epidermis. Since January 2021, she has joined the Vastenhouw Group at the Centre for Integrated Genomics, University of Lausanne for her PhD.
Create an account or log in to post your story on FocalPlane.
Scientific Advisory Board
Posted by Elisabeth Kugler, on 23 January 2021Elisabeth Kugler 1 and Emmanuel G. Reynaud 2 Contact:email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org There is a very thin sheet of light between gathering data and hoarding. In Science, between pilling up manuscripts on desk, books on shelves and samples in cold freezer, most of us fit in the latter category. It is OK, if you have space available
Posted by Johanna Bischof, on 20 January 2021Interview with Helena Chmelová, Ph.D. from the Light Microscopy Core facility at the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Czech Academy of Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself – where you work, what your research focus is? I work at the Light Microscopy Core Facility at the Institute of
The story behind ZeroCostDL4Mic, or How to get started with using Deep Learning for your microscopy data
Posted by Romain Laine, on 18 January 2021We all hear again and again about Deep Learning (DL), how great it is, how it’s going to revolutionise science, engineering, medicine and work. But where and how is this all happening? If you wonder how you could get started on thinking, let alone using DL on your microscopy data, look no further, we have
Posted by Ankita Jha, on 1 January 2021I’ve always believed public outreach and education activities are vital to our role as scientists. While both are familiar concepts to many of us, often they are unappreciated as important parts of our scientific training and journey. This has become increasingly relevant during this year, where a rise in public mistrust and misunderstanding of the
Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date with newly added content.
FocalPlane on TwitterTweets by @focalplane_jcs
Become a sponsor
Are you interested in becoming a sponsor for FocalPlane?
Our sister sites
The community site for
Microscopy-related articles from our journals
- FIB/SEM-based analysis of Borrelia intracellular processing by human macrophages. Journal of Cell Science 2020 : jcs.252320
- EPySeg: a coding-free solution for automated segmentation of epithelia using deep learning. Development 2020 147: dev194589
- Of numbers and movement – understanding transcription factor pathogenesis by advanced microscopy. Disease Models & Mechanisms 2020 13: dmm046516
- Functional effect of vaterite – the presence of an alternative crystalline structure in otoliths alters escape kinematics of the brown trout. Journal of Experimental Biology 2020 223: jeb222034
- Fiji plugin for annotating movies with custom arrows. Biology Open 2020 9: bio056200
Microscopy-related preprint highlights
- Improving the toolkit for 3D imaging with deep learning: HyLFM and HyLFM-Net. doi: 10.1242/prelights.25619
- Configuring high-resolution light sheet imaging to use one objective brings fast volumetric imaging to any sample format. doi: 10.1242/prelights.21204
- Microscopy and zebrafish: Understanding vasculature– part III. doi: 10.1242/prelights.24427
From the gallery
- Confocal microscopyApply
- Spinning disc micros..copyApply
- Super-resolution mic..roscopyApply
- Single plane illumin..ation microscopy (SPIM / Light sheet)Apply
- Total internal refle..ction fluorescence (TIRF) microscopyApply
- Electron microscopyApply
- Multi-photon microsc..opyApply
- Label-free microscop..yApply
- Genetic probesApply
- Optical manipulationApply
- Functional imagingApply