Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Closing Date: 31 July 2024
Senior Staff Scientist position available in the FIB-SEM Collaboration Core (F-SCC) (https://medicine.yale.edu/fib-sem/) of Yale School of Medicine. At the forefront of volume Electron Microscopy, the F-SCC utilizes the state of the art enhanced Focused Ion Beam Scanning Electron Microscopy (FIB-SEM) technology for large volume imaging with nanometer isotropic resolution. Under supervision of the Director of F-SCC, the candidate will play a leadership role in managing enhanced FIB-SEM sample preparation and image acquisition lab within F-SCC. Explicitly, the candidate will be responsible for pipeline processes of X-ray guided FIB-SEM sample preparation, enhanced FIB-SEM image acquisition, and image registration and alignment. The candidate is expected to be multi-tasking, perform independent experiments using the state-of-the-art laboratory techniques including electron, X-ray, and light microscopes. The candidate will work closely with supervisor, group members, and collaborators.
While the job duty will evolve according to the needs of the organization, specific responsibilities include:
1. Perform FIB-SEM sample preparation: mount and trim heavy metal-stained and resin-embedded samples to target specific region of interest using an ultramicrotome guided by X-ray micro-CT.
2. Perform FIB-SEM image acquisition using customized enhanced FIB-SEM microscopes. Optimize imaging conditions for the best results. Maintain equipment and troubleshoot hardware and software related issues. Perform system installations and upgrades when needed.
3. Perform 3D image registration and alignment.
4. Perform IT related system administration duties to maintain image analysis and data storage platform.
Click here for more information
1. Carries out the wide range of specialized scientific methods and procedures used in the laboratory.
2. Responsible for resource planning, allocation, and planning renovations. Determines, develops, and implements the operative framework of the laboratory as it relates to long-term goals, needs, and direction.
3. Keeps abreast of newly-evolving technologies, instrumentation, and methodologies and purchases new instrumentation.
4. Develops, analyzes, interprets, and summarizes scientific results.
5. Establishes policies and procedures governing operation of the laboratory.
6. Independently investigates and solves biotechnological problems as they arise through research and extensive literary searches. Determines subsequent experimental approaches.
7. Independently decides when additional analyses are needed, arranges for the needed analyses and interprets the resulting design and implements customized protocols.
8. Authorizes and organizes the use of laboratory and equipment to ensure timely completion of research projects.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in experimental physics, physical chemistry, engineering, or other related discipline and five years of experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proficiency in complex instrumentation operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven dexterity in manipulating small objects and demonstrated ability in three-dimensional thinking.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Proficiency in software coding. Familiar with Windows and Linux operating systems. Ability to maintain computers and troubleshoot hardware and software related issues. Ability to learn and carry out IT related system administration duties.
Required Skill/Ability 4
Proven ability to search and interpret scientific papers, protocols, standard operating procedures, safety standards, maintenance instructions and procedure manuals for laboratory equipment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated capability to manage laboratory facilities and workspaces. Proven ability to plan project needs to optimize resources necessary for successful project completion.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Ph.D. degree in experimental physics, physical chemistry, engineering, or other related discipline, plus six years of relevant experience. Special considerations will be given to those who have expertise in LabVIEW, Python, and MATLAB. Experience in database management (MySQL) and virtual machine environments (VMware ESXi) is a plus.