APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: April 2nd 2022
The Human Technopole Foundation (Milan, Italy) is looking for the Head of Light Imaging facility.
The person, reporting to the Chair of the Light Imaging User Group, will be responsible for establishing, maintaining and constantly evolving a world leading facility for research support and development in light imaging. This state-of-the-art-facility plans to attract the best talent and harness a broad range of advanced imaging instrumentation to provide cornerstone support to the scientific vision of Human Technopole. It will be fully integrated within an outstanding research environment, including transformative facilities for image analysis, stem cell and organoid automation, (cryo-) electron microscopy and CLEM, leading edge genomics and animal research infrastructures. The facilities will have full access to a powerful, state-of-the-art, and centrally administered high performance computing (HPC) cluster, designed to meet the needs of microscopy, computational biology and data science.
The Head will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop a world-class Light Imaging facility operating over the full span covered by light microscopy and supporting a wide range of experiments from super resolution to high throughput pipelines;
- Maintain and further develop the core facility equipment;
- Provide high level service in sample preparation and image acquisition;
- Train, mentor and supervise facility technicians;
- Establish a successful (internal and external) user training system for access to basic and high-end instruments;
- Organize internal workshops to increase the knowledge base of the HT community;
- Participate in organizing workshops for external scientists;
- Scout for new promising technologies, continuously enhancing the portfolio of the facility;
- Optimize novel protocols and adapt them to the Facility workflow;
- Interact closely with scientists on all aspects of the imaging acquisition and processing flow;
- Establish synergies with the other HT facilities;
- Develop links with other leading Light Imaging facilities and resources worldwide;
- Manage the supply of reagents and equipment required for the smooth operation of the facility;
- Participate in facility reviews by external experts;
- Participate actively in the overall development of HT core facilities;
- Report regularly on progress to the Chair of the Light Imaging User Group;
- Help design and advise IT services to meet facility and user requirements;
- Build effective links and collaborations within HT;
- Support raising third-party funding where possible.
- +5 years of proven experience leading a light microscopy facility applied to the life sciences;
- Knowledge of optics, and preferentially additional knowledge of image analysis and computer vision;
- Knowledge of best practices for effective data management;
- Fluency in English – HT is an international research institute;
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and to work independently;
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to lead and gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor;
- Ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating an open and positive environment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Please apply online sending:
- a full CV
- a motivation letter including a description of the background relevant to this post
- contacts of four potential referees
Questions concerning the role and any queries regarding the terms and conditions should be sent to the Head of the Neurogenomics Research Centre, Giuseppe Testa, at firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Associate Head of the Structural Biology Research Centre, Gaia Pigino, at email@example.com
HT offers a highly collaborative, international and diverse work environment. The working language is English. HT will foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups that will attract outstanding graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. HT scientists will have full access to cutting-edge Core Facilities.HT is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a leading, internationally competitive research organization. HT seeks to promote a collegial and family-friendly atmosphere.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including the family. Researchers coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, benefit from very attractive income tax benefits.
The contract is to be intended as Fixed-Term.