The apical surface of epithelial cells is thrown into laterally long actin rich protrusions, termed microridges. The image depicts microridges on the epidermal cells in a 3-day old zebrafish embryo which function as actin reservoirs to help in mucous retention and abrasion resistance.
The image was submitted to FocalPlane by Shivali Dongre who’s done her Bachelor’s and Master’s in India. She did her Master’s by research at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research at Prof. Mahendra Sonawane‘s lab, where she worked on the interplay between polarity and adhesion in the zebrafish epidermis. Since January 2021, she has joined the Vastenhouw Group at the Centre for Integrated Genomics, University of Lausanne for her PhD.
Create an account or log in to post your story on FocalPlane.
Scientific Advisory Board
Posted by FocalPlane, on 1 March 2021The ‘ImageJ User and Developer Conference’ was conceived as a conference about ImageJ-based bioimage analysis software, covering the core software as well as its plugins and applications. These conferences were held approximately every two years from 2006 through 2015. In 2018, the conference changed its name to ‘From Images to Knowledge with ImageJ & Friends
Posted by Esperanza Agullo-Pascual, on 15 February 2021Hello FocalPlane community! My name is Esperanza and I recently joined the Journal of Cell Science team as the new FocalPlane Community Manager. As a cell biologist, I have always been interested in visualising cellular processes. My interest in microscopy started during my PhD in the laboratory of Dr David Garcia-Dorado at Vall d’Hebron Research
Posted by Elisabeth Kugler, on 23 January 2021Elisabeth Kugler 1 and Emmanuel G. Reynaud 2 Contact:firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com There is a very thin sheet of light between gathering data and hoarding. In Science, between pilling up manuscripts on desk, books on shelves and samples in cold freezer, most of us fit in the latter category. It is OK, if you have space available
Posted by Johanna Bischof, on 20 January 2021Interview with Helena Chmelová, Ph.D. from the Light Microscopy Core facility at the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Czech Academy of Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself – where you work, what your research focus is? I work at the Light Microscopy Core Facility at the Institute of
The story behind ZeroCostDL4Mic, or How to get started with using Deep Learning for your microscopy data
Posted by Romain Laine, on 18 January 2021We all hear again and again about Deep Learning (DL), how great it is, how it’s going to revolutionise science, engineering, medicine and work. But where and how is this all happening? If you wonder how you could get started on thinking, let alone using DL on your microscopy data, look no further, we have
Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date with newly added content.
FocalPlane on TwitterTweets by @focalplane_jcs
Become a sponsor
Are you interested in becoming a sponsor for FocalPlane?
Our sister sites
The community site for
Microscopy-related articles from our journals
- L-selectin regulates human neutrophil transendothelial migration. Journal of Cell Science 2021 134: jcs.250340
- The 20S proteasome activator PA28γ controls the compaction of chromatin. Journal of Cell Science 2021 134: jcs.257717
- Tissue-resident macrophages regulate lymphatic vessel growth and patterning in the developing heart. Development 2021 148: dev.194563
- Disruption of a Hedgehog-Foxf1-Rspo2 signaling axis leads to tracheomalacia and a loss of Sox9+ tracheal chondrocytes. Disease Models & Mechanisms 2021 14: dmm046573
- Mutations in the splicing regulator Prp31 lead to retinal degeneration in Drosophila. Biology Open 2021 10: bio052332
Microscopy-related preprint highlights
- InsectBrainDatabase – A unified platform to manage, share, and archive morphological and functional data.
- Endothelial junctional membrane protrusions serve as hotspots for neutrophil transmigration.
- Ciliary control of meiotic chromosomal pairing mechanics and germ cell morphogenesis. doi: 10.1242/prelights.27402
From the gallery
- Confocal microscopyApply
- Spinning disc micros..copyApply
- Super-resolution mic..roscopyApply
- Single plane illumin..ation microscopy (SPIM / Light sheet)Apply
- Total internal refle..ction fluorescence (TIRF) microscopyApply
- Electron microscopyApply
- Multi-photon microsc..opyApply
- Label-free microscop..yApply
- Genetic probesApply
- Optical manipulationApply
- Functional imagingApply