This image of a cultured hippocampal neuron expressing the calcium sensor GCaMP6s was submitted by Thomas Chater. The GCaMP6s was fused to Lifeact, in order to localise the calcium sensor to regions rich in actin, such as the postsynaptic synaptic compartment. Left image is the integrated activity of the neuron over a few minutes. The other panels show the synaptic activity coloured-coded depending on its timing.
Thomas studied at the University of Edinburgh, before moving to the University of Bristol to do a PhD. Now, he works at RIKEN in the Centre for Brain Science, Japan, in the Laboratory of Synaptic Plasticity and Connectivity. Here, he studies synaptic dynamics, primarily using confocal and 2 photon imaging, combined with glutamate uncaging and electrophysiology, to monitor and elicit synaptic plasticity at defined inputs. His research focuses on how neurons regulate the strength and number of synapses across their dendritic arbors, and how changes in strength at active synapses can modulate nearby inactive neighbours.
Create an account or log in to post your story on FocalPlane.
Questions about FocalPlane?
Posted by FocalPlane, on 25 October 2021This week is International Open Access Week 2021 (25-31 October). To celebrate it, we have created a collection of Open Access articles on microscopy from the five journals of The Company of Biologists: Development, Journal of Cell Science, Journal of Experimental Biology, Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open. We hope you enjoy our microscopy
Posted by FocalPlane, on 22 October 2021Here is a curated selection of preprints published recently. In this post, we focus specifically on preprints using microscopy tools in different fields such as cell biology, neuroscience, and development. These two preprints were selected by Pablo J. Sáez who also participated in our Hot Reads post this month: An anti-inflammatory activation sequence governs macrophage
Posted by Joe Knapper, on 19 October 2021The OpenFlexure Microscope is an open-source microscope 3D printed in plastic, with versions suitable for hobbyists, researchers, and lab technicians. Currently used around the world as an accessible, customisable alternative to expensive and fixed commercial microscopes, the OpenFlexure Microscope began life as an academic prototype for holding a lens and sample in place. Here we
Posted by FocalPlane, on 15 October 2021Here is a selection of interesting news, publications and discussions related to microscopy that happened in the last two weeks. Thank you to our ‘FocalPlane reporters’ Andrey Andreev, Martin Jones, Manish Kumar and Parash Prasad who helped us create this list. Twitter Microscopes and imaging tools: New work from Prevedel lab on 3-photon microscopy https://twitter.com/Prevedel_Lab/…
Posted by Helen Zenner, on 12 October 2021Development presents… is a webinar series hosted by Development. The webinars are chaired each month by a different Development Editor, who invites talks from authors of exciting new papers and preprints. First authors are particularly encouraged to present their work – we hope the series will become a forum for supporting early-career researchers. As well
Register and join our mailing list to stay up-to-date with newly added content.
FocalPlane on TwitterTweets by @focalplane_jcs
Become a sponsor
Are you interested in becoming a sponsor for FocalPlane?
Our sister sites
The community site for
Microscopy-related articles from our journals
- L-selectin regulates human neutrophil transendothelial migration. Journal of Cell Science 2021 134: jcs.250340
- The 20S proteasome activator PA28γ controls the compaction of chromatin. Journal of Cell Science 2021 134: jcs.257717
- Tissue-resident macrophages regulate lymphatic vessel growth and patterning in the developing heart. Development 2021 148: dev.194563
- Disruption of a Hedgehog-Foxf1-Rspo2 signaling axis leads to tracheomalacia and a loss of Sox9+ tracheal chondrocytes. Disease Models & Mechanisms 2021 14: dmm046573
- Mutations in the splicing regulator Prp31 lead to retinal degeneration in Drosophila. Biology Open 2021 10: bio052332
Microscopy-related preprint highlights
- InsectBrainDatabase – A unified platform to manage, share, and archive morphological and functional data.
- Endothelial junctional membrane protrusions serve as hotspots for neutrophil transmigration.
- Ciliary control of meiotic chromosomal pairing mechanics and germ cell morphogenesis. doi: 10.1242/prelights.27402
From the gallery
- Confocal microscopyApply
- Spinning disc micros..copyApply
- Super-resolution mic..roscopyApply
- Single plane illumin..ation microscopy (SPIM / Light sheet)Apply
- Total internal refle..ction fluorescence (TIRF) microscopyApply
- Electron microscopyApply
- Multi-photon microsc..opyApply
- Label-free microscop..yApply
- Genetic probesApply
- Optical manipulationApply
- Functional imagingApply