Jamie Whitelaw’s image ‘Cells Actin like a Xmas Tree’ is the winner of the Scottish Microscopy Society’s ‘Christmas Cracker’ image competition. The image is composed of NckAP1 KO MEFs stained with Vinculin (Red), Phalloidin (Green) and DAPI (Magenta). The cells were imaged on the Zeiss LSM 880 at the Beatson BAIR facility. The images were processed to form a tree, with the actin staining acting as the tree, the DAPI as baubles and the Vinculin as the lights.
Create an account or log in to post your story on FocalPlane.
Questions about FocalPlane?
Posted by Mariana De Niz, on 31 January 2023MiniBio: Prof. Horacio Legal is a group leader in the area of Image Analysis at Universidad Nacional de Asuncion in Paraguay. He is also the co-founder of the postgraduate program in the area of Computer Science at this university. Horacio completed his Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering at the Universidade Federal do Paraná, in Brazil in
Posted by Helen Zenner, on 25 January 2023Hi all, My name is Helen Zenner and I am delighted to introduce myself as the new Community Manager of FocalPlane. Microscopy, along with membrane trafficking, has been a strong theme throughout my scientific career, starting during my PhD with Dan Cutler at the LMCB in London. During this time, I was introduced to the
Posted by Mariana De Niz, on 24 January 2023MiniBio: Prof. Steffen Härtel is a group leader at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Chile, where he leads the Laboratory of Scientific Image Processing (SCIAN-Lab). He is also founder of CEDAI SpA (Center of Internet Assisted Spermiograms), director of the Chilean Center for Digital Pathology (CPDAI), of the Center for Medical Informatics
Register and join our mailing list to stay up-to-date with newly added content.
FocalPlane on TwitterTweets by @focalplane_jcs
Become a sponsor
Are you interested in becoming a sponsor for FocalPlane?
Our sister sites
The community site for
Microscopy-related articles from our journals
- L-selectin regulates human neutrophil transendothelial migration. Journal of Cell Science 2021 134: jcs.250340
- The 20S proteasome activator PA28γ controls the compaction of chromatin. Journal of Cell Science 2021 134: jcs.257717
- Tissue-resident macrophages regulate lymphatic vessel growth and patterning in the developing heart. Development 2021 148: dev.194563
- Disruption of a Hedgehog-Foxf1-Rspo2 signaling axis leads to tracheomalacia and a loss of Sox9+ tracheal chondrocytes. Disease Models & Mechanisms 2021 14: dmm046573
- Mutations in the splicing regulator Prp31 lead to retinal degeneration in Drosophila. Biology Open 2021 10: bio052332
Microscopy-related preprint highlights
- InsectBrainDatabase – A unified platform to manage, share, and archive morphological and functional data.
- Endothelial junctional membrane protrusions serve as hotspots for neutrophil transmigration.
- Ciliary control of meiotic chromosomal pairing mechanics and germ cell morphogenesis. doi: 10.1242/prelights.27402
- Confocal microscopyApply
- Spinning disc micros..copyApply
- Super-resolution mic..roscopyApply
- Single plane illumin..ation microscopy (SPIM / Light sheet)Apply
- Total internal refle..ction fluorescence (TIRF) microscopyApply
- Electron microscopyApply
- Multi-photon microsc..opyApply
- Label-free microscop..yApply
- Genetic probesApply
- Optical manipulationApply
- Functional imagingApply