Amherst College, MA
Amherst College invites applications for a full-time Research Assistant position level RI-1. The Research Assistant will investigate the process of tissue organization during embryonic development of the sea anemone Nematostella vectensis at the Ragkousi lab at Amherst College (for publications on the research visit here). The research project(s) will involve molecular genetics, biochemistry, embryology and cell biology techniques. The Research Assistant is expected to contribute to all aspects of the lab’s research activities, including training and mentoring undergraduate students in the Ragkousi Lab. The Research Assistant will also assist with lab management on a limited basis.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Protein Biochemistry from sea anemone cell extracts, including protein purification, protein detection, immunoprecipitation
- Molecular Biology for construction of DNA and RNA constructs for gene manipulation
- Live cell imaging of developing embryos
- Animal maintenance and husbandry. RA will maintain animals weekly (feeding and cleaning), perform crosses to generate new lines, propagate current lines
2. Training undergraduate students with basic laboratory techniques
3. Lab management
- Ordering of lab materials and lab inventory
- Preparation of lab reagents (buffers, basic media)
- Work collaboratively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques, emphasis on protein biochemistry
- Use of Microscope and experience in Confocal Microscopy a plus
- Attention to detail
- Written and verbal communication, time management, and organizational skills
- Analysis and problem-solving skills
- Willing to learn new techniques and procedures
- Commitment to working with a diverse community
- Master’s Degree in Science or 2 years of hands-on laboratory experience
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information.
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff. The College sits in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and is part of the Five Colleges (including UMass, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College).
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents in the first step of the application process. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.