Core Imaging Facility Manager position at Institute of Metabolic Science, University of Cambridge
Posted by sossick, on 18 February 2022
We are seeking to recruit a knowledgeable, innovative and proactive Manager for our Core Imaging Facility at the Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Institute of Metabolic Science (IMS) at the University of Cambridge. You will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the facility, including managing bookings/invoices, providing full training in the use of all the microscope and the data analysis systems, advising on sample preparation and advanced techniques in microscopy and ensuring the safe operation of the facility. The manager is also expected to assist with the writing of grant applications, funder reports and equipment bids as well as keeping up with the latest trends in imaging and being an active member of the microscopy community.
The successful candidate will have extensive previous experience of all aspects of light microscopy and image analysis, ideally alongside experience of writing high level reports for funders, and knowledge of purchasing/procurement procedures, including the tender process. You will be seeking an opportunity to develop an existing imaging core facility and expand your skills and knowledge set to provide innovative solutions for researchers.
You will be expected to:
- Oversee management of the facility; including budget management/invoicing users, troubleshooting equipment, safety responsibilities etc
- Prepare high level advice on research, techniques, equipment and analysis related to imaging
- Develop new techniques and methods to support the effective use of the facility by research groups
- Provide microscopy/imaging-based research consultancy to external collaborators and build relationships with other facilities/staff
- Provide support for bids to funders for high value equipment and assist with reports to existing funders
- Undertake complex tender processes for equipment and services as needed
- Provide relevant advice on computer hardware and software, big data management/storage, advise and define computer interfaces for experiments
To be considered for this position, you must:
- possess a postgraduate degree/equivalent experience in a relevant subject
- have extensive imaging experience
- be competent in the use of image analysis software
- be able to work independently to implement new pathways/procedures/workflows
- be self-motivated, proactive and versatile
- possess excellent record-keeping, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
It is estimated that interviews will be conducted in week commencing 28th March 2022. Proposed start date: late April 2022 or as soon as possible.
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available until 30 April 2024 in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a basic disclosure (criminal records check) check.
Click the ‘Apply’ button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please ensure that you upload a covering letter and CV in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application.
Please include details of your referees, including email address and phone number, one of which must be your most recent line manager.
Please quote reference RG30194 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.