Community Manager for Microscopy Community Site FocalPlane
Posted by Sharon Ahmad, on 9 March 2022
Journal of Cell Science and its publisher The Company of Biologists are seeking to appoint a new Community Manager to run our microscopy community website, FocalPlane. Launched in 2020, FocalPlane is a curated and centralised platform for the microscopy community to share news and techniques, discuss issues relevant to the field and read about the latest research and events. We are now looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person with fresh ideas and a willingness to learn to join us to develop and maintain this site.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
- Creating and commissioning content for FocalPlane, including writing posts and soliciting content from the academic community, societies, companies and other organisations
- Providing user support and ensuring site functionality on a day-to-day basis
- Providing creative and practical input into the development of the site
- Maintaining and developing the site’s presence on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Representing Journal of Cell Science and FocalPlane at relevant conferences
- PhD in a relevant scientific field, ideally with experience of microscopy
- Familiar with current trends and hot topics in microscopy and image analysis
- Willingness to grow and develop knowledge of microscopy
- Demonstrable ability to write for an online audience and/or produce social media content
- Clear understanding of the online environment as it applies to scientists
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong networking abilities online and in person
- Experience with additional media (e.g. video or podcasting)
- Experience with WordPress
- Contacts within the microscopy community
This is an exciting opportunity to further develop this hub for the microscopy community – in a similar vein to the Company’s established community site for developmental biologists, the Node – and to engage with relevant people at all levels: academics, developers, facilities, institutes and companies. The Community Manager will work alongside an experienced in-house team, including the Executive Editor of Journal of Cell Science. Additional responsibilities may be provided for the right candidate. The Company of Biologists exists to support biologists and inspire advances in biology. At the heart of what we do are our five specialist journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science, Journal of Experimental Biology, Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open. All are edited by expert researchers in the field, and all articles are subjected to rigorous peer review. We believe that the profits from publishing the hard work of biologists should support scientific discovery and help develop future scientists. Our grants help support societies, meetings and individuals. Our workshops and meetings give the opportunity to network and collaborate.
Applicants should send a CV along with a covering letter that summarises their relevant experience, and in particular any specific microscopy/image analysis skills. Please also include links to any online activities, salary expectations, and details about why you are enthusiastic about this opportunity.
Applications and informal queries should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18 March 2022.
We may request written tests in advance of any interview.
Applicants should be eligible to work in the UK.