Here is a selection of interesting news, publications and discussions related to microscopy that happened in the last two weeks on Twitter and beyond.
Tutorials, training and workshops:
- The first mesoSPIM user meeting took place on 10 March 2022. There are 14 talks from the event available to watch on YouTube
- There’s a new cryo-EM module on MyScope
- EMBO are running a practical course on light sheet microscopy #LISH22
News and interesting reads:
- Mariana De Niz is conducting interviews for her Latin American Microscopists series. You can read the latest ones here on FocalPlane:
- Read about a nationwide remote open-desk bioimage analysis session
- This thread brings together some resources for beginners to learn Python
- How factors outside your microscope can influence your data
- DaXi, a new microscope design
The paper includes photos of how the new microscope is set up.
- A new expansion microscopy technique, Ten-fold Robust Expansion Microscopy (TREx)
The preprint was previously highlighted on preLights.
- VesselVio, a new open-source resource for analysing vasculature
- Neurons making connections:
- DaXi in action:
- The CytoMorpho Lab presents ‘Architectures Cellulaires’: https://twitter.com/ManuelTHERY/status/1505957276405927938
- Visualising mitochondria in 3D with FIB-SEM: https://twitter.com/aaandmoore/status/1506070860280606721
- Multiple scattering of light:
- The Iwasa group’s latest animations (‘Phase Separation 101’): https://twitter.com/janetiwasa/status/1506638646572556288
- A thread bursting with beautiful cell division movies: https://twitter.com/AgChaigne/status/1508874634330099726
- Sarah Keary, winner of the FocalPlane travel grant awarded by the Scottish Microscopy Society
- Katherine Paine, winner of the 2022 RMS Early Career Award
Don’t miss these events:
- The African BioImaging Consortium are holding their first Community Meeting in Cape Town from 16-18 October 2022. Registration is open now:
preLights, our sister site, will be interviewing one of the consortium’s co-founders, so keep an eye out for that.
- Interactive image analysis workshop using napari and Python, 5 April 2022
- Webinar highlighting a day in the life of a core facility microscopist, 21 April 2022
Last but not least, some words of wisdom:
- From Robert Haase: “Every minute you spend learning the basics will spare you one hour struggling when doing the advanced stuff”
- From Christophe Leterrier: “Try to make each image better than the previous one. It’s a craft. Imagine you’re a shoemaker, a making shoes one pair after another for decades. The drive is to get to the best possible shoes”
- …and finally, remember to get to know your reagents:
We hope you find this post interesting. Please let us know if you think we should include other topics or discussion platforms.