Posted by FocalPlane, on 1 April 2022
Here is a selection of interesting news, publications and discussions related to microscopy that happened in the last two weeks on Twitter and beyond.
Tutorials, training and workshops:
- The first mesoSPIM user meeting took place on 10 March 2022. There are 14 talks from the event available to watch on YouTube
- There’s a new cryo-EM module on MyScope
- EMBO are running a practical course on light sheet microscopy #LISH22
News and interesting reads:
- Mariana De Niz is conducting interviews for her Latin American Microscopists series. You can read the latest ones here on FocalPlane:
- Read about a nationwide remote open-desk bioimage analysis session
- This thread brings together some resources for beginners to learn Python
- How factors outside your microscope can influence your data
- DaXi, a new microscope design
The paper includes photos of how the new microscope is set up.
- A new expansion microscopy technique, Ten-fold Robust Expansion Microscopy (TREx)
The preprint was previously highlighted on preLights.
- VesselVio, a new open-source resource for analysing vasculature
- Neurons making connections:
- DaXi in action:
- The CytoMorpho Lab presents ‘Architectures Cellulaires’: https://twitter.com/ManuelTHERY/status/1505957276405927938
- Visualising mitochondria in 3D with FIB-SEM: https://twitter.com/aaandmoore/status/1506070860280606721
- Multiple scattering of light:
- The Iwasa group’s latest animations (‘Phase Separation 101’): https://twitter.com/janetiwasa/status/1506638646572556288
- A thread bursting with beautiful cell division movies: https://twitter.com/AgChaigne/status/1508874634330099726
- Sarah Keary, winner of the FocalPlane travel grant awarded by the Scottish Microscopy Society
- Katherine Paine, winner of the 2022 RMS Early Career Award
Don’t miss these events:
- The African BioImaging Consortium are holding their first Community Meeting in Cape Town from 16-18 October 2022. Registration is open now:
preLights, our sister site, will be interviewing one of the consortium’s co-founders, so keep an eye out for that.
- Interactive image analysis workshop using napari and Python, 5 April 2022
- Webinar highlighting a day in the life of a core facility microscopist, 21 April 2022
Last but not least, some words of wisdom:
- From Robert Haase: “Every minute you spend learning the basics will spare you one hour struggling when doing the advanced stuff”
- From Christophe Leterrier: “Try to make each image better than the previous one. It’s a craft. Imagine you’re a shoemaker, a making shoes one pair after another for decades. The drive is to get to the best possible shoes”
- …and finally, remember to get to know your reagents:
We hope you find this post interesting. Please let us know if you think we should include other topics or discussion platforms.
If you would like to contribute to these news digest posts, contact us or join our Slack workspace.