The Laboratory for Cell Biology and Histology at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for an expert scientist in bio-image analysis.
Within the Laboratory of Cell Biology and Histology (www.uantwerpen.be/en/rg/celw/), our research team (www.uantwerpen.be/cell-group/) aims at understanding accelerated aging (e.g., Progeria) and age-related (e.g., Alzheimer) disease development from a cell biological perspective. We thereby make use of a variety of advanced microscopy techniques including high-throughput, prolonged live-cell and light-sheet microscopy. Among our recent achievements, we have established methods to induce and quantify loss of nuclear compartmentalization in individual cells (Robijns et al., 2016; Houthaeve et al., 2019), predict the degree of neuronal connectivity in culture (Verschuuren et al., 2019) and stage tau pathology in transgenic mouse brain (Detrez et al., 2019). We are now looking for a positive and analytical colleague that is keen on developing and consolidating the growing bioimage analysis expertise in our group. The expert scientist should be able to establish and tailor image analysis protocols that can be run across large image data sets (in programs such as FIJI, Matlab, CellProfiler, Python…), and also know how to handle the downstream high- dimensional image data analysis (e.g., in R); ideally, integrating both. Applications will range from cellular phenotyping in compound screens to on-line recognition of cellular processes for intelligent content-driven acquisition. Experience with coding is an asset but not a must, so both biomedical scientists with affinity for image (data) analysis or informaticians with affinity for cell biology are welcome to apply.
Profile and requirements
• You hold a master or PhD degree in (Bio-)medical Sciences, (Bio-)Physics, (Bioscience) Engineering, Informatics or equivalent;
• Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy (www.uantwerpen.be/en/about-uantwerp/organisation/mission-and-vision/three-core- tasks/research/)
• You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative;
• You have experience with biological image analysis as evidenced by your scientific track
record (publication list)
• An appointment as a researcher for a period of 2 years at a competitive salary depending on your degree, with a possibility of renewal depending on external funding;
• The date of appointment: August 1st, 2020
• A dynamic and stimulating work environment at the interface of academia and industry
• Pleasesendyourshortcvalongwithamotivationletterviaemailto winnok.devos[at]uantwerpen.be until the closing date June 20th, 2020;
• For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact prof. Winnok De Vos (winnok.devos[at]uantwerpen.be; Tel: 0032.3.265.34.45).