Job opportunity: Project Specialist, Biomedical Imaging and Life Science
Posted by Joanna Pylvänäinen, on 7 March 2022
Fixed term: 1 Apr 2022 – 31 Aug 2023
Are you interested in biomedical imaging and life science and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Do you want to take the next step in your career and work at the interface of the academy and industry? Turku BioImaging (TBI) might be just the place for you.
We are looking for a Project Specialist to join our Image Data Team, on a new project funded by the European Regional Development Fund. The project aims at enhancing the utilization of bioimaging data in the industrial/SME sector.
As a Project Specialist, you will be a key asset in providing advice and knowledge about bioimage data and its use to various life science industry professionals. We expect you to build up a network of bio and pharma companies relevant in the field of imaging and foster strong business relationships with new and existing industrial partners. You will identify, prepare, and implement versatile customer projects based on the companies’ needs, and drive the development of commercial image data services of TBI. Ideally, you will also participate hands-on in the development of new image data analysis methods. In this diverse role, you will have the ability to bring new ideas to the table and shape the future of bioimaging. You will benefit from the support and fellowship of our highly collaborative international team and the depth and breadth of our bioimaging knowledge and experience spanning 20+ years.
Your responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Identifying potential companies, initiating visits, and communicating and exchanging scientific information regarding image data
- Identifying, preparing, executing and managing customer case projects with industry partners• Developing diverse image data services to the industry/SME sector
- Developing new image data analysis and management methods
Who we are looking for:
- An open-minded talent in the life-science field with project management skills
- MSc or doctoral level degree in a relevant field, e.g. bioimaging, biomedicine, biotechnology, biochemistry, data science
- Experience in bioimaging methods and image data analysis and knowledge of image data management (e.g. familiarity with advanced light microscopy techniques, OMERO, deep learning methods in image analysis)• Capability of in depth medical/scientific understanding
- Strong willingness and capability to collaborate and work closely with industrial partners both face-to-face and via virtual channels
- Excellent presentation and communication skills in English
- Ability to take initiative and responsibility, work well in a team, and have a creative and exploratory mind-set
- Passion for science and translating it to concrete practice
- Industrial work experience, knowledge of statistics and programming, and knowledge of Finnish are considered an advantage
What we offer you:
- A front-row seat on a journey of worldwide expansion of the bioimaging community and revolutionary implementation of bioimage data in life science innovations. We are closely involved in the national, pan-European and global bioimaging networks (e.g. bioimaging.fi, eurobioimaging.fi, eurobioimaging.eu, globalbioimaging.org), and a trusted partner of several pharma companies.
- Visionary work and challenging tasks. We are problem solvers and engage in diverse biomedical research projects and innovating new solutions to complex data analysis tasks. We have been involved in the development of various sophisticated image data management solutions and best practices.
- Flexible and dynamic working environment. We have adopted a flexible hybrid model where everyone can work both from home and in our renewed office in BioCity. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with awesome colleagues ensures learning, inspiration, and fun times!
- Caring team. We believe in teamwork, openness, and having each other’s back, and aim to nurture great team spirit and good leadership practices. In addition, University of Turku offers broad occupational health care services and versatile well-being and exercise services to enable a good work–life balance.
Applications & additional information
The Project Specialist will be working at Turku BioImaging in the Pix4Business project, funded by the European Regional Development Fund. The fixed-term position is expected to start as soon as possible and lasts until the end August 2023.
There is a trial period of 6 months and the salary is determined in accordance with the salary system for universities. The person belongs to the other personnel (according to our Finnish collective agreement), and to job demand categories 9-10. The average salary will be 3300-4100 eur/month, depending on qualifications and experience.
Kindly enclose with your application a motivation letter (max 1 page), a CV (max 2 pages), copies of relevant degree certificate(s) in English and a list of publications. We are committed to equality and non-discrimination and individuals of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please submit your application as soon as possible, as we may interviewed some candidates already during the application period. The latest application date is, and only by the online application system, on 20.3.2022. Kindly use a link to the online application system https://www.utu.fi/en/university/come-work-with-us.
For further information, please don’t hesitate to contact Turku BioImaging Research Manager, Dr. Pasi Kankaanpää, pasi.kankaanpaa(at)utu.fi.We warmly welcome you to join our multicultural working environment!
Turku Bioscience Centre is an advanced core facility and research centre hosted jointly by University of Turku and Åbo Akademi University. We offer access to a comprehensive selection of cutting-edge research methods and an opportunity to be involved in internationally competitive science in a stimulating, highly networked environment. https://bioscience.fi