The FocalPlane image competition 2020 winner is Tejeshwar Rao from Alexa L. Mattheyses’ lab at the University of Alabama for his image ‘Owl Eyes’ (above). The image depicts duplicated Cos-7 cell plated on a tension gauge tether surface. After stimulation with epidermal growth factor (EGF), the cell was fixed and stained for F-actin (orange hot) using phalloidin and for focal adhesions (blue-green) using a paxillin antibody. Integrin forces, i.e. open tension probes, are shown in greyscale. Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence (TIRF) microscopy was employed to acquire the images and processed using NIS elements and reconstructed in Fiji (ImageJ). More about Tejeshwar’s work coming on FocalPlane soon.
Create an account or log in to post your story on FocalPlane.
Scientific Advisory Board
Posted by FocalPlane, on 19 October 2020Here on FocalPlane, Open Access Week is especially close to our hearts as it coincides with the birthday of the father of microscopy, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (24 October). So every year for Open Access Week, we will be listing all the microscopy-related Open Access articles from The Company of Biologists journals on FocalPlane under the
Posted by Johanna Bischof, on 14 October 2020Interview with Stoyno Stoynov, Ph.D. from the Center of Advanced Microscopy, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Bulgaria. Tell us a bit about the facility you run and what your focus is. The Bulgarian Node of Euro-Bioimaging ERIC is based in the Institute of Molecular Biology of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia. Our node is part
Posted by Michael Weber, on 12 October 2020Sharing microscopy technology is crucial for biomedical research. This is the story how I joined Jan Huisken and his team to give other scientists quick access to custom-built light sheet microscopes.
Posted by Elisabeth Kugler, on 10 October 2020This post, part of the blog series “LSFM series – Surfing on the data freak wave!”, discusses (a) Sample preparation, (b) Light interaction with matter, (c) sample alignment and (d) checking fluorescence and calibration
Posted by FocalPlane, on 5 October 2020After 3 weeks of submissions we are happy to announce that the submissions gallery is now up and running for 1 week (until 12 October, 5pm UK time)! We have 83 fantastic entries from 45 different people who have used a range of different microscopy techniques to acquire their beautiful images. To see our competition
Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date with newly added content.
FocalPlane on TwitterTweets by @focalplane_jcs
Become a sponsor
Are you interested in becoming a sponsor for FocalPlane?
Our sister sites
The community site for
Microscopy-related articles from our journals
- Experimental toolbox for quantitative evaluation of clathrin-mediated endocytosis in the plant model Arabidopsis. Journal of Cell Science 2020 133: jcs248062
- The visible skeleton 2.0: phenotyping of cartilage and bone in fixed vertebrate embryos and foetuses based on X-ray microCT. Development 2020 147: dev187633
- A lineage-tracing tool to map the fate of hypoxic tumour cells Disease Models & Mechanisms 2020 13: dmm044768
- Functional effect of vaterite – the presence of an alternative crystalline structure in otoliths alters escape kinematics of the brown trout. Journal of Experimental Biology 2020 223: jeb222034
- Nanomorphological and mechanical reconstruction of mesenchymal stem cells during early apoptosis detected by atomic force microscopy. Biology Open 2020 9: bio048108
Microscopy-related preprint highlights
- A Single-Objective Light-Sheet Microscope with 200 nm-Scale Resolution. doi: 10.1242/prelights.21204
- Single-molecule live cell imaging of the Smc5/6 DNA repair complex. doi: 10.1242/prelights.22354
- 3D quantification of zebrafish cerebrovascular architecture by automated image analysis of light sheet fluorescence microscopy datasets.
From the gallery
- Confocal microscopyApply
- Spinning disc micros..copyApply
- Super-resolution mic..roscopyApply
- Single plane illumin..ation microscopy (SPIM / Light sheet)Apply
- Total internal refle..ction fluorescence (TIRF) microscopyApply
- Electron microscopyApply
- Multi-photon microsc..opyApply
- Label-free microscop..yApply
- Genetic probesApply
- Optical manipulationApply
- Functional imagingApply